The Benham House, Penn Yan’s grandest hotel when erected circa 1858, served as the residence of dentist and freethinker Charles Elmendorf in his later years. It was named for its builder, one Dewitt Clinton Benham.
The structure had various owners for more than a century. In 1960 it was razed, to be replaced by the bank branch that occupies the site today. More information on the building and its site are available here.
The Benham House in downtown Penn Yan,
for some years the residence of prominent
citizen, longtime dentist, and
freethinker Charles Elmendorf.
The Benham House site where Charles Elmendorf once resided is
now occupied by this early-1960s bank
During the years he lived at the
House, Charles Elmendorf enjoyed a very
short commute. This photo, taken from
the location of his dental practice at
looks one block down Main Street. The
bank branch now occupying the Benham
site is partly visible, in front of
the red brick Post Office with fantop