The Building and Site. The structure had various owners for more than a century. In 1960 it was razed, to be replaced by the bank branch that occupies the site today. More information on the building and its site are available here.
Thanks to Richard MacAlpine for research assistance.
This clipping from the Penn Yan Express of September 25, 1889, documents the Ingersoll party's arrival at the Benham House the previous day. After receiving the visitors described in the clipping, Ingersoll and his daughters traveled to Dresden to view his birthplace and the former church where his father had preached. Ingersoll delivered his County Fair speech on September 25. Image courtesy of Richard MacAlpine.
During the years he lived at the Benham House, Charles Elmendorf enjoyed a very short commute. This photo, taken from the location of his dental practice at 124 Main, looks one block down Main Street. The bank branch now occupying the Benham site is partly visible, in front of the red brick Post Office with fan top windows.