The forty-fifth annual convention of the New York State Woman Suffrage Association (NYSWSA) was held at the Centenary Church (now Landmark Church) in downtown Binghamton on October 14–17, 1913. (Nineteenth-century practice was to use the singular, woman's; later practice was to use the plural, women's.) Its story began one year earlier.
In 1912, Binghamton suffrage activists Margaret Topliff and Ida Wales Gitchell had founded a Votes for Women Club headquartered in downtown Binghamton. Attending the forty-fourth annual NYSWSA convention in Utica, they resolved to have the next year's convention in Binghamton. Though other cities also vied for the event, Topliff and Gitchell campaigned so effectively at the Utica convention that Binghamton was selected for the 1913 event.
The convention began with a parade from Binghamton's Court House Square to the church, witnessed by large crowds. Organizational and planning meetings involving some 162 delegates were held over the next three days.
Thanks to Christopher Philippo for historical research.