The forty-fifth annual convention of the New York State Woman Suffrage Association (NYSWSA) was held at the Centenary Church (now Landmark Church) in downtown Binghamton on October 14–17, 1913. Its story began one year earlier.
In 1912, Binghamton suffrage activists Margaret Topliff and Ida Wales Gitchell had founded a Votes for Women Club headquartered in downtown Binghamton. Attending the forty-fourth annual NYSWSA convention in Utica, they resolved to have the next year's convention in Binghamton. Though other cities also vied for the event, Topliff and Gitchell campaigned so effectively at the Utica convention that Binghamton was selected for the 1913 event.
The convention was held at the Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church (now Landmark Church). The church was built in 1866, on the hundredth anniversary of Methodism in the United States, hence the name "Centenary."
The convention began with a parade from Binghamton's Court House Square to the church, witnessed by large crowds. Organizational and planning meetings involving some 162 delegates were held over the next three days.
A ballot proposition to extend the franchise to women in New York State would be decided in the general election of 1915, so the need to plan future campaigning was particularly urgent. (The measure failed at the polls, but a similar measure passed in 1917, making New York the fourteenth state—and by far the largest—to institute woman suffrage.)
On October 7, 2017, New York's suffrage centenary was celebrated with a reenactment of the 1913 parade and convention. One year later, on October 6, 2018, a more modest reenactment preceded the dedication of a historical marker funded by the William G. Pomeroy Foundation.
Thanks to Christopher Philippo for historical research.