Named for woman suffrage champion Susan B. Anthony since 1974, this four-winged structure erected in 1955 stands on the University of Rochester’s River Campus. (Nineteenth-century practice was to use the singular, woman or woman's, when referring to women as a class; later practice was to use the plural, women or women's.)
The building was first known as the Women’s Residence Hall. One wing was named for Anthony, honoring her ultimately successful effort to persuade the University of Rochester to admit women. The other three wings were named for Mary Lewis Gannett (1854–1952) and Emily Weed Hollister (1857–1932), key associates of Anthony’s in campaigning for co-education; and for Lewis Henry Morgan (1818–1881), a founder of the University of Rochester.
In 1974, the entire building was named for Anthony. The former Anthony wing was renamed for Frederick Taylor Gates (1853–1929), a university of Rochester alumnus and advisor to industrialist/philanthropist John D. Rockefeller Sr.
The structure is located on the Residence Quad near Hoeing Hall, Tiernan Hall, Gilbert Hall, and Lovejoy Hall, and near the Rush Rhees Library. It is now used for freshman housing.
This the second building named for Susan B. Anthony at the University of Rochester. The first, Anthony Memorial Hall, was opened in 1914 on the University’s old Prince Street Campus.