Former Utica Opera House

Former Utica Opera House

Utica's Opera House was opened by the city's Mechanics Association in 1871. It seated 1,000 but was indifferently successful; historic accounts suggest the facility's design was a bit behind the times when it was built. In 1901, it was extensively renovated and renamed the Majestic Theatre (shown).

Newspaper lecture ad

Newspaper lecture ad

Period newspaper advertisement promoting Ingersoll's lecture "Ghosts" at the Utica Opera House. Recovered from microform by Doug Schiffer.

Sign Up for our Newsletter

Follow our sponsor on