Auburn is a city at the north end of Owasco Lake (pop. 27,687 [2010 census]). Founded in 1793, it was renamed Auburn in 1805 upon becoming the Cayuga County seat. From 1818 to 1939 it housed the prominent Auburn Theological Seminary. One of its remains is the Willard Chapel, featuring a complete interior by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Prominent residents included William H. Seward, secretary of state under Abraham Lincoln, and abolitionist Harriet Tubman, who retired there. Both houses are historical sites today. Since 1816, the city has been the site of the maximum-security Auburn Prison (now the Auburn Correctional Facility).