30 Washington Street, Seneca Falls, New York | Museum / Exhibit
Elizabeth Cady Stanton and her husband Henry moved from Boston to Seneca Falls in 1847, taking up residence in this house. The house would play a key role in shaping Stanton’s feminist views. Burdened by the responsibilities of caring for the new house as well as three children, she soon realized that it is impossible for a woman to develop her full potential when her life is consumed with housework.
Though located a few blocks away from Seneca Falls’s other woman’s-rights (nineteenth-century practice was to use the singular, woman's; later practice was to use the plural, women's) attractions, the Stanton House is part of the Women’s Rights National Historical Park. The National Park Service spent lavishly to restore the house; the process is lauded as a model for the highest level of historical structure rehabilitation.
See this site for more information about Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Elizabeth Cady Stanton House.