Behind 5353 West Taft Road, North Syracuse, Syracuse, New York | Unmarked Location
The Wizard of Oz Oak Grove is a seven-acre stand of pristine old-growth forest located behind the running track of North Syracuse Junior High School. Never plowed or completely cleared, it preserves a mix of native trees typical of the forests that blanketed this area prior to European settlement. It is one of the only such sites in Onondaga County. The grove has been owned by the North Syracuse Central School District since 1950.
Its name reflects the view that this grove was probably L. Frank Baum’s inspiration for the Great Forest of Oz. It is located not far from Roselawn, Baum’s childhood home in nearby Mattydale, and it is known that he played in the grove and knew its then-owners.